About the Scheme

How The Scheme Works

Your Entitlements

In Western Australia, to be entitled to a long service leave benefit you normally must accrue a minimum of 7 years service with a single employer.

However if you work on site in the construction industry, you may find yourself working with many employers over the same period.

That’s why a portable long service leave Scheme has been established by Government exclusively for construction industry workers.

The Scheme allows you to carry your long service leave benefits from employer to employer. So it doesn’t matter how many employers you’ve worked for, you can still enjoy the long service leave benefits you’re entitled to.

All you have to do is register.

Who We Are

The Scheme is run by a Board set up by the Government with representatives from both unions and employers. The Board is called the “Construction Industry Long Service Leave Payments Board”.

Does it cost anything to register?


Who pays for the Scheme?

Your employer. It costs you nothing.

Who can register?

All those employed on site in the construction industry in classification of work referred to in this list of industrial instruments.

What types of work are included in the construction industry?

Such work includes all construction, alteration, renovation, repair or maintenance to any building, structure or works whether commercial, industrial or domestic, new or existing and also includes the installation maintenance of or repairs to fixtures or plant and equipment to name a few.

What benefits does the Scheme offer?

After accruing 10 years of service in the Scheme employees get 8 2/3rd weeks paid long service leave with an additional 4 1/3rd weeks leave for each additional 5 years of service after that. Pro rata (proportionate) leave of 6 weeks is available after only 7 years. Pro rata leave can be taken with the approval of your employer. There are also other pro rata (proportionate) benefits.

Pro Rata (proportionate) benefits.

On termination of your employment as long as you have accumulated at least 7 years of service in the Scheme you can claim a lump sum payment of all accrued long service leave in the Scheme.

Also where an employee who has accumulated at least 7 years of service dies a pro rata payment will be paid to the dependent spouse of the employee or to the employee’s estate.

How Much Do I Get Paid and Who Pays Me?

MyLeave pays you at your ordinary rate of pay averaged over your last 220 days of service in the construction industry.

If you are entitled to paid leave, ordinary pay means the rate of pay (disregarding any leave loading) to which you are entitled for leave (other than long service leave) to which you are entitled.

Please note that ordinary pay does not include annual leave loading but does include other amounts such as rental allowance, utilities allowance, living away from home allowance etc. – if these allowances are due to you when on paid leave.

If you are not entitled to paid leave (other than long service leave), your ordinary pay is the rate of pay to which you are entitled for ordinary hours of work. For instance, the ordinary rate for casuals will include casual loading, other applicable allowances, and may include weekend work.

How does the Scheme work?

Every three months employers advise MyLeave of how many days each employee has worked for them in the construction industry and pay a levy to MyLeave based on a percentage of the employees’ ordinary rate of pay.

MyLeave keeps a record of the days in the construction industry and the ordinary rate of pay for each employee registered with MyLeave.

Each employee can be credited with a maximum of 220 days per year towards their long service leave entitlement.

What happens if I have a break from or leave the construction industry?

Employees may have breaks from the industry of up to two years in the first 5 years of service and up to 4 years after that without losing any accrued service days. Naturally these breaks do not count towards your entitlement.

If you exceed these breaks, then you lose any service accrued to date.

Note: This is not a superannuation Scheme and employees are allocated days in the Scheme not monies and no monetary value is attached to these days.

Employees who do not achieve the minimum of 7 years of service required to gain a benefit in the Scheme are not due for any payment from the Scheme regardless of the circumstances. MyLeave has no discretion in the matter.

What if I leave WA and work in another State?

WA has an agreement with the Schemes operating in other States and you will not lose any service in WA if you continue to work in the construction industry in another State or Territory. You can also use service in another State to gain an entitlement with the State you are currently working in.

Please note that preservation of your WA service is subject to the breaks in service rules under the WA Scheme.

Are You Registered?

How do I apply for registration?

You may be automatically registered when an employer includes you on a quarterly statement made to MyLeave.

If you are unsure, complete and submit an Employee Registration Application Form.

If it is found that you are not in a classification of work covered by the Scheme you will be advised accordingly.

What happens then?

You will be sent a letter containing your registration card and number, and a password to access your service details and update your address details using MyLeave’s web site.

Each year you will receive an Annual Notice (if we have your current email or postal address), which will advise of the total accrued service towards your long service leave entitlement.

NOTE: It is important that you keep your address details up to date so that you receive your Annual Notices. Failure to do so could result in loss of service days that you may be entitled to.

If you do not receive your registration card within a few weeks, please contact MyLeave.